The Old Tattered Flag

Friday, June 20, 2014

Farmers market and I've hit the wall!

I seem to have hit the week 3 wall.  I need those of you who have had a hysterectomy to tell me if you had a rough time the third week.  I have NO energy.  Literally, I just took a nap and woke up and thought to myself, "I'm too tired to lay here".  I have searched on the internet to see if anyone has felt this way (because we all know the internet doesn't lie), and have read about others who had a tough time the 3rd and 4th week.  Ugh, I just don't have time for this, it is too beautiful out and there are too many good things I want to do!

Before I hit my wall, Mom and I ventured down to the Watertown Farmers Market.  Every town in the area has them on different days of the week, but we always make an afternoon of it on Wednesdays.  We were pleasantly surprised to see how much it has grown in the last two years. You can see Mom in that first picture perusing the plants....in addition to wool, plants are her other addiction.




Further down this table there are bunch of local fresh strawberries.  I wish I had gotten some, but I just learned that the farm around the corner is open for picking.  I hope I can muster the energy.



...and there she goes.  Buying perennials from her favorite guy.  In fact, if memory serves I think his name is actually Guy.  (right Robin?) 



As you can see it's a really nice little farmers market.  Of course I found a goody.  Look at these neat wine glasses.  They are made by a potter who lives about 10 miles up the road from me.  I plan to ask if I can have him make me a whole dinnerware set with the glaze on these.  For years I've debated on collecting Bennington pottery like my sister but 1. they are heavy and being a military family and moving it wasn't practical
2. I don't like to have things like everyone else.
So, this may be a good alternative.  



My son works part time for a wonderful non profit called "Hearts of Hope".  He came in my studio the other day and asked me to "whip up" a couple of necklaces from my Doodles for 5 of his volunteers.  They came out great, not like the wonderful soldered ones I order from Tommi Crystal designs, but good in a pinch.  He said they were well received....



I just love this next picture!!  Mom in her floppy hat.  I had to run and get my camera.  These raised beds are the smartest thing we have done.  We always loved to have a large garden, but just don't have the time.  So this is a great alternative.  Tomatoes and herbs make us very happy!




 Yesterday I shared how I am collaborating with my Sister on some of her Folk Art pieces.  I have already done up 6 new designs for hooking and punching.  Her pieces have wonderful patina finishes.  This pumpkin below is very rusty.  Mom wanted to capture the rust so special dyed a piece of orange spot wool that we will be offering very soon.  I just LOVE this guy, I call him Mr. Big!!



Speaking of spot dyes, here are some more that we put up in bundles today and I hope to get listed on the website Sunday!!


Ahhhh, look at that green.  I have not altered the color in any of my photos.  It is just amazing how lush and green everything is this time of year.  I love it!

Tomorrow we plan to head up to Cape Vincent to see the Tall ships in the harbor and watch the War of 1812 re-enactments.  I want to get some photos, just hope my energy level will allow.  There are so many great events in this area during the summer.  I think because the winters are so harsh that people really do it right in the summer.  I hope to get back here Sunday night with some fabulous photos.
Until next time.....

2 comments:

Katken said...

I hate to tell you this, but you are really doing too much too soon. My doc said that a hyst is one of the most major surgeries you can have because there is soooooo much cutting. Everything is anchored in several places & they all have to be cut. I hope you will listen to your body as it is trying to heal. Believe me I know.....after 2 surgeries to remove fibroids, 2 c sections & the hyst......I know about recovery. Please take it easy......you don't want scar tissue building up only to have more surgery yo have that removed!! I hope I have scared you to the sofa or hooking chair!! Be well!!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thanks Kathy! I know it looks like a lot from the blog, but really, I've done a lot of computer work and punching lately. No one loves the couch more than me, so whenever I'm tired I hit it!! I appreciate it though, I really do!!
And now, I'm off to the porch with a glass of wine!

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.