The Old Tattered Flag

Monday, October 14, 2013

The packing has started and a Halloween tour!


We are really in limbo right now.  Business has been very good so we continue to keep the shelves stocked and get orders out, but it's really hard with the impending move to not keep creating new stuff.  There just isn't time.  Although I do have to say that I just designed a Proverb Rug for Jan, who is coming this week for a dye class and I am very happy with it.  Watch for the photo in a couple of days.  I also have a couple of other designs I need to get on paper.  Designs are like voices in my head....lol, that just don't stop talking until I get them out and on paper/fabric.  
So, with that said, three weeks from today the packers will be here packing up our house.  We move the shop stuff on our own so you can see below, we have started to pack up the non-essential stuff.

Time to move again!

Seriously?!!  Another move??
While here in Missouri I had a very convenient light table built in to a counter in the shop.  I was getting nervous as the move approached that I would have to go back to the old fashioned way of drawing patterns until I convinced hubby to make me one.  He did a fine job if I do say so myself.  Look at this beauty!!  (some girls want jewelry, give me a new light table and I'm a happy camper)

A new light table for Julie..
We haven't been able to walk on the path this summer because of my fear of snakes, chiggers, spiders,etc, but the other day I said "let's go" to the dogs.  Last year I had Hubby up in the trees collecting me Bittersweet vines, but after the critter incidents we've had I think I'll spare him.

A walk on the path....

Nature at it's best...


We love a walk
....and because I don't have enough projects to work on......
Mom came across this pattern she says she's had forever.  I'm going to yarn punch it with small yarn, now have to find some great muted primitive small yarns.  Any suggestions?

Football and Fall mean cooking, at least for me.  Sunday has become my favorite day of the week.  I usually cook a pot roast or some sort of comfort food and try a new pinterest dessert.  This week it was.....

Earthquake Cake......highly recommended! (the recipe I used was the same except you also sprinkle 1 cup of chocolate chips on top, because there aren't already enough calories in it)
Earthquake Cake Recipe
 I was not going to do any Halloween decorating as we will be moving a week later and I didn't want the hassle of having to take it all down, wrap it up, etc.  But, I decided to fly my boys and Mother in law down for my Husbands retirement luncheon at the end of the month.  You only retire once from the Army and it is a special occasion for him and the whole family.  
We've all been in this together for 25+ years.  

So, with that, I decided to pull out the decorations and I'm glad I did.  It really got me excited for the move back to NY as I use to have so much fun decorating the house with my treasures.  Part of being a military family is that all your decorations come from different parts of the country/world so it's literally like taking a trip down memory lane every time you get them out.  I'm sooo excited to see the family and to be back up in NY where it won't be so long in between visits. 

So, I decided to snap a few pictures of my Halloween goodies.......
Folk painted chair seat....purchased at a great primitives craft show when we were stationed at Fort Leavenworth..

Various figurines from all over.....

A beautiful penny rug Mom gave me a few years ago and a bowl full of wool pumpkins I made the other night...

I sat in my chair and just cut the shapes from wool then hand stitched around the outside edge leaving about a 1 inch hole to lightly stuff them, then stuck in real twigs and leaves....

Great Pottery pumpkin from Chris Farr of The Sunshine Shed in upstate Missouri....

Assortment of goodies...

Another wonderful pottery pumpkin from Chris Farr!


I just love this gals face!

This precious piece belonged to my Great Grandmother...

Wool Roving pumpkins, two antique bowls one on top of another....

Top of the pie safe....

Great "Jack" penny rug.....originally a Need'L'Love design.  I purchased this in a local gift shop in upstate NY.

More great pottery pieces from www.thesunshineshed.com...

Ralph all decked out for Fall!

I made this pillow a few years ago.  It is grungy chenille yarn punched through wool.....and a small one below....


...and my Halloween purchase from this year, my folky painted ceramic pumpkin from last week.  
So, for us the packing will continue.  It's getting to be crunch time so I can feel my mind shift into overdrive.  I've redecorated our stone house 12 different ways, had quite a few trips to Lowes looking at paint, bathtubs, light fixtures.  So, please be patient with me on the blog.  I'll try to keep you all updated with the move.  Have a great Monday afternoon everyone.
Until next time.....

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.