The Old Tattered Flag

Monday, December 17, 2012

Cookie #5 in "the 12 Cookies of Christmas"

These weren't on my original list of cookies but my son came home from college the other day and told me they had to be.  A childhood memory for him because we use to go to the Savannah candy kitchen when we were stationed at Fort Stewart, to get some pralines.  They were so good.  So, I told him he should make them and he did.  This is Josh's recipe, very easy and oh my gosh, oh so good!!!



Pecan Pralines

1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 cup half and half or light cream
3 tablespoons butter
2 cups pecans (walnuts are good too)

Butter  the sides of a heavy 2 quart saucepan.  In the saucepan combine sugar, brown sugar and half and half.  Cook over medium high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugars.  (this should take 6-8 minutes)  Avoid splashing the mixture on the sides of the pan.
Carefully clip a candy thermometer  to the pan.  Cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until thermometer registers 234 degrees.  Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over entire surface.  Reaching soft ball stage should take 18-20 minutes.
Remove pan from heat.  Add butter but do not stir.  Cool, without stirring to 150 degrees (this should take about 30 minutes)  Remove thermometer, then stir in pecans.  Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon till candy is just beginning to thicken but is still glossy, 2-3 minutes.
Drop about 2 tablespoons candy from a large serving spoon onto baking sheets line with parchment paper, forming 3 inch pralines.  If candy becomes too stiff to drop stir in a few drops of hot water.  Store in a tightly covered container.  Makes 15 large pralines.

Until next time.......

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.