The Old Tattered Flag

Monday, December 17, 2012

Cookie #4 of "The 12 Cookies of Christmas" and other things.....


I am a day behind on my "Cookie" blogging. It has been a bit of a crazy weekend.  First and foremost the awful news of the shooting in Connecticut has just really put a damper on the holidays.  I cannot seem to get the people of Newtown out of my head.  I just cannot fathom what they are going through.  You go along wrapping, baking, doing the normal Christmas things, then you hear a song or see a child in the mall on Santa's lap and it stops you in your tracks.  There will not be any consolation for those poor people.  I just hope they know that we are all mourning along with them.  They are not alone in this..

So, our boys left Northern NY on Saturday morning and were home here in Missouri by 10pm Saturday night.  We had told them to stop and get a hotel, but you know how young boys are.  "Oh Mom and Dad, we can do the whole 16 hours in one day".  My husband must have called them 20 times during the day.  "Where are you", "How's the weather", "How's the car running?".  They were glad to get here just so the phone calls would stop.
So, in addition to that, our little Baxter has been very sick all weekend.  Vomiting and pooping all over. Our normal gregarious, friendly, hyper dog has been down for the count. While he wasn't listless, all he wanted to do was cuddle.  The vet says he just has a bad bacterial thing, probably ate something he shouldn't have while roaming in the woods.  He should be through the worst of it, thank god!!!

So, with all of that, I just plain forgot to add yesterday's cookie recipe, so here it is.  Come back later today for Cookie # 5.  


Oatmeal Date Cookies
2 sticks of butter                               1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup packed brown sugar             1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup white sugar                           1 tsp. cinnamon
2 eggs                                            3 cups quick oats
1 tsp. vanilla                               16 oz. chopped dates

Cream butter and both sugars together.  Then add eggs and vanilla and combine well.  Next add flour, baking soda and cinnamon and combine into ingredients.  Finally add quick oats and dates and mix together.  Use a teaspoonful to drop mix onto ungreased cookie sheet.  Bake for 11 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees or until golden brown.  Makes 4 dozen.

A few blogs ago I showed you this rug done in different colors that my mother had hooked for my brother who is a golf pro in Florida.  She hooked this one for my brother in law who is a golf club superintendent in Vermont.  Love the colors in this one as well.  

Bags of puppy chow ready to go!!  I didn't really know until recently that people in the family really wait for this every year!  If anyone wants the recipe let me know.

Mike and the boys!!  My husband is going to kill me for putting this one on, LOL.  The story behind this one is that wait for the boys to get home to put the tree in and we always go out and get a real tree.  Well, the only place to get a tree here in Rolla was at Lowe's or Kroger.  Guess what, we waited too long and there were none left at Lowes and only 12 to choose from at Krogers.  People, we have a charlie brown tree!!!!  You can barely see it behind the boys.  But, instead of getting all frazzled we all just laughed. Usually we have to cut the tree top and bottom part down to fit in the room..........not this year!!!

Check back later for Cookie #5 later today.
Until next time......





No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.