The Old Tattered Flag

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas tour of the house...



For the past few years in Upstate New York I would open my house for a Christmas tour.  We owned a stone house built in 1830 and it was one of a few historical homes in the area.  I had a gift shop in the back of my home so it originally started off as a "sale".  So, we would open the house up for people to walk through and serve cookies, cocoa, the norm.  Well, I have to say, as we are now in Missouri, I really miss that old stone house and the Christmas open house.  First and foremost for the wonderful ladies who came over.  It brought something to all of us, became more about the "season" instead of selling.  For me, it was the fun of decorating the house, doing those little things that were just a little different. (One year I stuck antique silverware in the garland over the kitchen cupboards, got a lot of comments on that one) But most of all it was just seeing the joy on the ladies faces as they would come in and see their friends, the twinkly Christmas lights, Christmas carols and just the overall Magic of the Season.  

I think it was the first year we did it that Carolyn and Judy from Ogdensburg, NY were driving by, had no idea about the open house, but saw the sign so decided to stop by.  You see, Judy was taking her friend Carolyn out for the day as Carolyn's mother had died a couple days prior.  At the same time my mother was dealing with the first Christmas without my father, so her and Carolyn were able to cry, laugh and just enjoy the evening.  I have thought of Carolyn often these last few weeks and Carolyn,if you are reading this, know that Mom and I are thinking of you!

Both my boys are coming home Sunday from college and you know, even the boys enjoy coming home to a decorated house.  Of course the big tree will not go in until they are home.  It's amazing the little things you do every year that the kids come to count on, hence tradition.  

So, with that in mind I decided to have an online Christmas Tour.  Not at all the same, I miss the upstate NY ladies!! But, I hope you'll enjoy the tour.  

Come back tomorrow as we start the "12 Days of Cookies" and I will showcase my sister's primitive Vermont home.  
And please, if you would like to have a house tour I'll be glad to showcase your Christmas home, send pictures!!!!
Until tomorrow......









Entrance to Mom's room, I have to mention that the flash
on my camera makes this gold look awful, it's a nice gold, not
this ............um color....

















6 comments:

Deb said...

amazing Julie!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thanks vey much Deb, Merry Christmas!

Deb said...

Julie, who made the large Santa with the flag and drum in the last photo - I LOVE HIM!
MERRY CHRISTMAS to you and yours

theoldtatteredflag said...

Hi Deb,
That's a Santa I picked up in a primitives shop in upstate NY. They are put out by Ragon House. Merry Christmas to you too!

Anonymous said...

Julie, see how far behind I am in blogging!!!! I love your home, just beautiful and so warm and welcoming. Please tell Carol I knew that was her room even before I read the caption. Thanks for sharing, makes me homesick for you both. Have a wonderful Christmas and look forward to your blogs and all the new "goodies" Love, and God Bless, Cheryl

theoldtatteredflag said...

Yea, Mom always makes her room look so nice!! A very Merry Christmas to you too!!

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.