The Old Tattered Flag

Thursday, December 13, 2012

"A Primitive Vermont Home" and Day 1 of the "12 Cookies Of Christmas"


Welcome to the "12 Cookies of Christmas".  Today is day one and we'll be adding our favorite Christmas cookie recipes.  When we were growing up in Vermont it was a tradition to make tons of cookies and then make an assorted gift box of cookies for the neighbors, mailman, etc.  We would use the bottom of a shirt box, line it with foil, fill the box, wrap it with saran wrap and put a bow on top.  This was before the thousands of containers you can now find at walmart, Michaels or Hobby Lobby.  We used what we had and made it look nice.  It's a nice childhood memory.  So, with that in mind, we hope you enjoy some of our sweet "memories" over the next few days.
Happy Holidays!!



Cream Cheese Raspberry Fold-overs (dad loved these)
2 c. flour
1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 c. butter, softened
1 tbsp. commercial sour cream
1/2 c. raspberry preserves or jam of your choice
confectioners sugar

Combine first 4 ingredients, mixing well. Chill dough 2 to 3 hours. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness on a floured board; cut into 3 inch squares. Spoon 1/2 teaspoon preserves onto center of square. Moisten edges of squares; fold pastry in half diagonally making sure edges are even. Press edges together with fork. Place on ungreased baking sheets and at 325 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.   Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Yield about 2 dozen.


As I mentioned above, I grew up in Vermont.  And really, this time of year I really do miss New England.  I hate snow, but, there truly is nothing like a snowy winter day with the candle lights in the window and a fire burning in the wood stove or fireplace, Christmas music blaring while you are making cookies.  My sister still lives in Vermont and has shared some pictures of her home.  Enjoy!














Until next time.....

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.