The Old Tattered Flag

Friday, December 14, 2012

Day 2 of "The 12 Cookies of Christmas"


I wasn't sure I was going to blog today because in light of today's events in Newtown, Ct., it's very hard to feel joyous and festive.  How can we bake cookies and celebrate the season while others are going through such a tragic time?

I was watching the news though and heard of a family who was suppose to be celebrating their son's birthday (he was a student at the elementary school).  The party was going to continue on as they felt it would bring the family together during this difficult time.  

So, though I am not at all comparing my silly little blog to that in the least, I decided to continue on with what I have started............albeit with a very heavy heart.  

When my kids come home Sunday you can be certain I will hug them tighter than I ever have.  Since they have been away at college every phone call always ends with "I love you" on both ends, and for that I am glad.  Life is short as we all know.  So I'm going to take solace in the fact that one of you may bake a cookie and share it with a grandchild or other family member and enjoy your times together.  

Until next time............



Cinnamon Crinkles
  • 2 cups Rogers All Purpose Flour
  • 2 tsp cream of tarter
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk together flour, cream of tarter, baking soda and salt; set aside.
 With an electric mixer, beat butter and 1 1/2 cups sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. With mixer speed on low, add flour mixture, beating to combine.
In a shallow dish, combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon. Form 1 inch balls (using about 1 tbsp of dough per cookie) and roll each in cinnamon sugar before placing on ungreased cookie sheets about 3 inches apart (these cookies spread significantly!).
 Bake 8 to 10 minutes, until tops have crinkled and edges are set, but centres are still soft. Cool 3 minutes on baking sheet before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
YIELD: About 3 dozen cookies.




No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.