The Old Tattered Flag

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Cookie #7 in "The 12 Cookies of Christmas"


A few years ago I attended a Christmas party at a woman's house in Leavenworth, Kansas.  She had gotten these amazing cookies from a bakery in town.  These are a favorite of the family and are my own version of that wonderful cookie.

Maple Nut Shortbread cookies

For the shortbread:

  • 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt
1 bag snack size snickers bars, cut each bar into 3 pieces.

Preparation:

Mix together the flour and salt in a bowl and set aside. Cream together the butter, vanilla and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the flour and salt mixture a small amount at a time, kneading into creamed mixture with your hands until you have a stiff dough which can be rolled. Do not overwork the dough.
Turn dough onto floured surface and pat or roll out to 1/4" thickness. Cut into squares [or any shape you want] and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 325° for approximately 15 minutes or until golden brown.  
As soon as you take them out of the oven place a slice of snickers bar on top.  When they are cool, drizzle with maple frosting glaze.
Maple Frosting Glaze:
2 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup softened butter
1/4 tsp. maple extract
2-3 tbsp. milk
Beat frosting until a nice drizzling consistency.
 Cool and store in airtight containers. Makes about 3 dozen. 
Until next time.....



No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.