The Old Tattered Flag

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Cookie #8 in "the 12 Cookies Of Christmas"


Ok, so pumpkin roll is not really a cookie but it's a family favorite that Mom has made for years.  In fact, my brother and his daughter from Florida just requested her recipe the other day.  I thought some of the "special-ness" had gone out of it since you can get a pumpkin roll at walmart anytime, but after tasting Mom's tonight, it is by far the best!!  There's nothing like homemade.  
Enjoy!!


Pumpkin Roll
3 eggs
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon ginger
2/3 cup pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup flour
1 cup pecans or walnuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
Filling
1 cup powdered sugar
8 ounces cream cheese
4 tablespoons margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Beat eggs on high for 5 minutes; add sugar at last minute.  Stir in pumpkin and lemon juice.  Mix dry ingredients and fold in.  pour into greased cookie sheet (with 1 inch sides).  Sprinkle with pecans or walnuts.  Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Turn out on powder sugared towel.  Sprinkle powdered sugar on roll also.  Roll up in towel.  Allow to cool fully.
Unroll and spread with filling. Re-roll and refrigerate until ready to serve.

**Instead of greasing the pan, we use parchment paper, pour the cake batter right onto it and it will come out of the pan easily and the paper will pull off.            

Merry Christmas from Baxter!!!

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.