The Old Tattered Flag

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Unfamiliar territory

Reaching for the sun!!


New idea.....


Rooster


New wall piece for the living room


New redware plate chair pads coming soon!!!
I am finding myself in unfamiliar territory right now.  I am organized!!! How did that happen??  We put our house on the market last week so the house is clean, we have made repairs and touched up paint.  Which begs the question, why do we wait until we are going to sell to do the small touch ups that we should have done all along??  The taxes are done, computer work is relatively caught up.  I'm in good shape, but, the problem with that is that I am a better worker under pressure.  When I have time on my hands I flounder and can't seem to focus on the task at hand.  But, since my brain never really stops, as you can see by the photos, I have managed to get some things done.  I have designed a nice simple, yet stunning set of redware plate chair pads.  Mom is hooking other rug orders right now so hasn't had much time to work on them, but hopefully they'll be ready in a week or two.  These are going to be awesome in a country, colonial, antique filled home. 
Mom had wanted me to design a rooster for her.  I just love this guy.  The colors are quite vibrant, I always tend to go darker and more muted, but I do love him.
I have started another rug called "floating stars".  It is a table runner and has five big blue stars.  I wanted to do a hit or miss background with reds and whites, but only had three compatible reds.  So I chose three off whites and started hooking.  This is the pattern that developed and I must say, I like the look, kind of like a flowing flag.  It's kind of mundane hooking though so I am only picking it up in between other projects. 
I had this really neat antique piece in the barn that I've been wanting to do something with and when I had a spot on the wall open up I thought of it.  So, I painted it and the heavily antiqued it.  I found this cute little penny rug at a shop nearby and loved the mustard background that matches my walls perfectly and fit in the little space of the piece.  Threw in a grapevine star on top and a sprig of berries hanging on the bottom.  I just love it.  If you see a neat piece, cheap, don't pass it by.  Even if you don't know what your going to do with it at the time, chances are you will find a use for it eventually.  
And then, since spring is right around the corner I wanted to show this picture of a shamrock plant that our good friend Corrine brought us last week.  The flowers only open up during the day and if I didn't know better, I'd say these guys are just reaching for the sun.  Little do they know that yea it's sunny, but only in the 30's outside.
Well, off to do some painting....until next time......

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.