The Old Tattered Flag

Monday, August 29, 2011

Phew......






Oh my goodness, there are so many things to share, I justt don't know where to start. I think I better spread it out over a few blogs or you'll be reading alot. First, I was suppose to share a picture of the floss I tried dyeing. So, those are the pics you see. Thanks to several of you I tried RIT, and used a spray bottle as I wanted a variegated look. I layed a bunch of skeins out, sprayed them, rinsed them, hung them up, let them dry and them wound them around the floss cards you see. As I mentioned before, I really did not want to like this, because it is very labor intensive, but, alas, oh my god, the look is just fabulous and oh so primitive. Click on the close up of Ezzies hat to see how wonderful the "dirty linen" floss looks. So, I have decided to hand dye floss for my kits and only for my website. I'm a glutton for punishment, but the look is just too great not to share.
Mom and I have had a very busy few days and I only now am able to sit and catch up on computer time. Check back tomorrow for our news about the NY State Fair and then the Craft fair we did this weekend.
Until next time......

2 comments:

Michelle~Sugar House Creations said...

Just found your blog. Oh no, I might have to try this too. Can you explain a little more about this, what color you used? It looks wonderfully prim!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Hi Michelle,
It's just rit dye. I mixed it in a spray bottle. For colors that I wanted a grungy look for, like linen or antique gold, I used tan. I also did a light spray of black over gold for a tanished look. Then for a variegated blue I sprayed dark blue over a light blue thread. It's really all trial and error. Spray heavy though, because you do have to rinse the thread and alot of dye comes out. It's also tough to keep the floss from tangling, but once you get going, it gets easier.....

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.