The Old Tattered Flag

Tuesday, August 30, 2011









We are our own worst critics, but we thought we'd enter three rugs in the NY State Fair in hopes of being "accepted". We knew we could enter up to five rugs but when we got there we found that they had to be in different sections throughout the "Rug" class. So we entered in "commercial design", "by the Artist" and "traditional" hooking. Well, we were pleasantly suprised to not only be accepted but to win three Blue ribbons. In fact, the "Goin to the Fair" rug was the overall rug class, sponsered by the Pearl McGown Rug Guild. The rug was front and center as you walked in the building with all the "best in show" items. We were very honored. I had designed it specially for the fair and worried a bit that it was too cheesy, but it was very folky and pretty and they loved it.
The fair folks also asked Mom to demonstrate rug hooking, so as she sat and hooked for four hours I explained the three mediums we deal with: rug hooking, punch needle and wool applique. I had a tri fold board and had three finished items done up from my Ezzies Hat pattern. It was very well received and we met alot of nice people.
After our demonstration, we proceeded to eat our way through the fair......no point counting. The one thing we stopped short of was the big kahuna burger, a burger on a glazed donut. Mom wanted to give it a try but I just couldn't do it. Gross! So, we made up for it with a bloomin' onion, dont you just love the look on her face....pure joy!!
I have alot of neat pictures from the fair, so keep checking back and if you get a chance to go to the NY State Fair be sure to go in the Arts and Home building and see our Rugs.
Until next time....

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.