The Old Tattered Flag

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Busy, busy, busy............


I'm happy to say that rug hooking has really taken off here in upstate NY. We have 13 students here at The Old Tattered Flag and all of them have just fallen in love with the art of hooking. So, that has really made me change my direction for my business. My premise has always been to make patterns out of my paintings, but lately I have been making paintings out of my patterns. I guess it's all the same, start with a basic idea and go from there. Above you can see my latest idea. I wanted to offer a couple Thanksgiving patterns.
I get an idea in my head and sketch it out. I then have to enlarge it to be a hooking pattern, then cut each and every shape out for the penny rugs, piece it, put it together, stitch it, write it up, photograph it, ugh. For the hooked rugs and punch needle I have to transfer them to fabric, so they are pretty easy. The penny rug patterns are very time consuming but worth it in the end as you can see below, the finished product. Now I just have to paint this one.........

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.