The Old Tattered Flag

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

It's not always pretty.....(behind the scenes at The Old Tattered Flag)

I have gotten into the habit of sitting down with my ipad after dinner and 1. seeing what everyone is up to on facebook and 2. checking out pinterest.  I'm not much of a blog follower, simply because I just don't have the time.  I have noticed though how we all love to show pictures of our "pretty".  I am the biggest offender of this.  "Oh, this is just beautiful, I must show everyone"!
  I have mentioned that I like to snap pictures of my house when it's clean because it's not that way often and I'm not lying.  So, please ride along with me through this blog post as I show you the "not so good, the bad and the very ugly" of a normal day at The Old Tattered Flag.  Trust me when I say there is no "pretty" here today....
Well, as you can see below, look closely at the definite dust upstairs.  If I can't write in it, it's not time to clean yet.  But, I do think we are there!


Actually, this one isn't bad, it's only 3 days after Easter, so I'm doing pretty good to have my stuff packed up.  I do wonder though how long that box will sit there.  Will hubby bring it up to the attic?  Did anyone ever see the suitcase episode of "Everybody loves Raymond"?  

Our unmade bed.  Mom hops out of bed and makes her bed first thing.  I am NOT a morning person.  I must have two cups of coffee to even start thinking of the day.  The bed normally doesn't get made until after lunch.

Ugh, I HATE having my picture taken, so drink in the beauty!!  Lol, this is a normal outfit for me.  In fact, if I do "dress up" and throw on jeans and a sweatshirt my family asks me where I have to go or why am I all dressed up.  Sad!

My light table is covered with Beeskep kits waiting to be packaged up....

more applique and hooking kits ready for packaging....

my office.....I'm drawing our Stars and Flowers pattern currently....

 Now on to the fun part....I get to pick on Mom.  She currently has about 12 designs of mine to hook.  That is in between dyeing wool, cutting pennies, cutting wool.  She often says to me, "I wonder what I would be doing if I was in the home".  
So, I am back on weight watchers.  It seems that Mom has built quiet a snack stash.  Is that tasty kakes, smidgens, skinny cows (really?), oh and check out her Sam's club sodas to the right and out of frame is a bag of popcorn.  Evidently I did not get her genes, if I snacked like this I'd be in big trouble.


Here are some of the projects she is working on....

Our Farm Friends is not new, but she sold the first one she hooked so she wants to do another with different colors...

A new one coming very soon.....AUTUMN....

She is hooking through our Primitive Feedsack fabric (currently for sale at www.theoldtatteredflag.com in our Primitive Fabric section)

SUMMER.....

...a couple rugs to back....

...the weathervane rooster, plus another 4 or 5 to finish that series...

She likes to hook up her woolens into samples so that people can see what they look like hooked.  Here's a few of those to finish...

So, that's what's going on here.  Never a dull moment, but we sure do have fun and now you know why I usually only snap the "pretty" pictures.  I do think it's necessary to sometimes see the "ugly" otherwise you don't appreciate the other.  

I want to end this with more of the ugly....
Baxter has a stuffed animal that we like to call his "mother".  Whenever anyone comes over he has to run and get his mother to show everyone.  Well, his mother has taken on quite an odor.  We use to say "go get your mother", lately we have all cringed when he does go get her.  So, today Mother had a bath and not a moment too soon.  

He also has a "brother", a smaller version of Mother.  This is a magazine rack in our living room and lo and behold there is his brothers tail.  I have no idea where the rest of him is....

I hope you've all had a chuckle at our "ugly".  Hey, if you can't laugh at yourself right?
Until next time.....

5 comments:

Susan said...

Thanks for the "ugly". It is easy to compare my everyday with others camera ready and feel ........uneasy.

Katken said...

Awwwww....you ruined it for me. I thought the life of a designer was all autographs & paparazzi!!! Y'all would fit right in at my house!!! I must say I do have a new appreciation for kit making!!!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Actually I gave the hair and make up team the day off......:)

moosecraft said...

Looks like a lot of peace and happiness to me! :-) The Autumn and Summer designs look awesome! And, I've been thinking about hooking the barnyard friends... oh my... you have too many good idears!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I finally finished barnyard friends and it looks fantastic. I really like your autumn and summer rugs, I just may need them for myself. Forget the dust and keep on designing. Hooking is much more important than cleaning! Ellen

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.