The Old Tattered Flag

Friday, December 13, 2013

Tis' the Season.....

Hi Everyone!  It's been a couple of weeks since I've last written.  I just can't believe how time flies.  It has been a challenge getting settled right smack in the middle of the holidays, but I think we are coming along nicely.  We had a very successful Small Business Saturday sale (thank you very much everyone), in fact I just feel like I can breath now. 

 I am ever so flattered at the nice emails I get with people telling me how their Moms, Sisters, wives, love our site and items as they purchase a gift for them.  It really makes me so happy to know that some will open a "The Old Tattered Flag" pattern or kit on Christmas morning.  How fun!

It has been a grind, but I did manage to get the house decorated for Christmas.  My youngest son Jeremy came home from school yesterday.  It's amazing how as Mom's we want everything to be just perfect for our kids.  I had to have a big bowl of his favorite Puppy Chow on hand and got some new curtains hanging in his room and made it as cozy as possible.  Josh will be home Sunday and all will be right in my world, let the holidays begin.


If you haven't gotten your 2014 "A Year in Hooked Rugs" calendar yet, I did get another batch in.  The first batch flew right off the shelf....
visit www.theoldtatteredflag.com to get yours...

The next two pictures are a little project I did last week.  Some of you may have already seen it on facebook.  I tore 1 inch strips of wool and sewed and gathered them (like tight ribbon candy) and then added pennies here and there.  Such a neat, primitive garland for your little trees.



I can say I finally felt it today......that Christmas feeling....of course this helped.....


Some of you may remember that we had a difficult time finding a tree last year in Missouri.  I wanted to wait until the boys were home.  Apparently we waited too long because we ended up with a Charlie Brown tree.  Well, not this year...we found a beauty....


I had Mike and the boys retake their "pose" from last year.  Last year you couldn't even see the tree behind them it was so small.....again, not this year....


I love this picture and will treasure it forever.  I caught Mom admiring the tree.  She didn't know I snapped the picture....a keeper for sure!


And here's a few pics of the halls all decked.....















...and speaking of stockings.....look at these beauties that Jan from Missouri made for Mom and I.  She made them on her antique sock maker.  Jan, we love them, I've already worn mine a few times....


....and again, more stockings....here's a very large primitive one that my Mother gave my Sister as an early Christmas gift.  I just love it!!  I didn't want to take it off my chimney cupboard....


I really will try to update more often.  It shouldn't be a problem, because something about this house has me snapping pictures all the time, plus, I just love the holidays...
Come back tomorrow as we will be doing another quick giveaway...it's something you'll want for sure...

Until next time...

5 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your upstairs landing is beautiful!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thanks Lauren, yes that is one of my happy places in the house. :)

Myra said...

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas for sure.... beau-ti-ful. Love the picture of your sons with their Dad. As a mother of 3 sons those goofy shots are the best.....guys aren't they wonderful!!!! The picture of Mom ....priceless! Your posts are the best.

moosecraft said...

Absolutely gorgeous! That home is perfect for you all and also for decorating! I can see your Mom wearing Jan's socks in the pic of her admiring the tree! :-) I love that long hooked stocking! Merry Christmas!!!!

pearl said...

Well the joy of Christmas is at your home for sure. I did spot Carol's socks on by the tree. It makes me smile. Merry Christmas to you gals. God is surely blessing you. jan

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.