The Old Tattered Flag

Monday, December 24, 2012

Cookie #12 in "the 12 Cookies of Christmas"


What a good day we are having.  As I sit here writing, the three boys, hubby and my two sons are in the kitchen making a finger food for tonight.  We decided to start a new tradition where everyone makes their favorite finger food.  Josh is making monkey pizza bread, hubby is making steak and cheese wontons, (kind of his own recipe, god help us) and Jeremy is doing pigs in a blanket.  Mom is in the same room as me doing a puzzle.  We love to do puzzles every year at this time, but we only do it now as we become obsessed with it and find we can spend hours doing one when we should be doing other things.  
I have had a couple sips of Christmas wine, warmed ever so lightly on the stove, so my fingers are typing a bit slower than usual.  :)
Today is the last day for the "12 Cookies of Christmas".  I have heard from a few of you and it makes me so happy that some of you are trying our recipes.  Annette tells me that in their family they make a cookie similar to the Raspberry Cream Cheese foldovers, but they do a nut filling.  I will have to give that one a try for sure. 
So, the last cookie for today is "Mint Crinkles".  We usually did a Chocolate Crinkle when I was growing up, but I wanted to change it up a bit. Enjoy!!


Mint Crinkles
1 cup unsweetened chocolate powder
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs
2 teaspoons mint extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup powdered sugar
approx. 24 hershey mint kisses

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or you can use a wooden spoon) beat together the cocoa powder, sugar and vegetable oil until it comes together into a shiny, gritty dough.
Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing for 30 seconds each.  Add the extract and beat in thoroughly.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Mix into the chocolate mixture on low speed until just combined.  Do not overbeat.  Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for four hours.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Place the powdered sugar in a wide bowl.  Using a rounded teaspoon, get clumps of the chilled dough and roll them into 1 inch sized balls.  Roll the balls in the powdered sugar and place on the cookie sheets.  Bake for 10-12 minutes.  Right after they come out of the oven place a mint kiss in each cookie.  Yum!!!

**Mom made big cookies, you will be able to get more than 24 cookies if you make them smaller, but, we always say, "who wants a smaller cookie?"**

I knew there was a reason I made this rug!

Mom doing her puzzle!! 

From our family to yours, we hope you have a Very Merry Christmas!  Take the time to enjoy the small things....
Until next time.....




No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.