The Old Tattered Flag

Sunday, August 7, 2011

The Witch's Parade


Here's a rug just finished up by Mom. I designed it last year as I was trying to come up with a Halloween parade rug but decided to go with a smaller design. So, this will be a one of a kind rug. Mom had a vision for our Witch and wanted her decked out in purple. Nice choice! I also love the leaves and background, they are so warm.

In a different direction, I was wondering, if any of you are stitchers, your feelings on embroidery floss. I have more than 40 punch needle designs and am not afraid to admit that do not like punching with anything less than 6 strands (the horror) for a couple of reasons. First, I like a larger design. If the design is larger, then you don't lose any of the definition by using 6 strands, plus, I just like a larger design. Second, I like to use a skein of floss while I'm working, hence less threading. Third, I'm cheap. (for you serious punchers I also am almost afraid to mention that sometimes I punch on fabric other than weavers cloth......I know, I know!!) But, in the world of punch needle I have found that there is a trend to use the more expensive "hand dyed" threads. As you know you can purchase a skein of DMC floss for about .35. Hand dyed floss is about 1.80 a skein or more. While the hand dyeds give the design a more textured and primitive look, which I love, I also like the look of regular DMC and for a primitive look, I dab it with coffee. I want to offer my customers what they want, so would love to hear your opinion as a stitcher, if you would be happy to pay up to $50 for a punch kit, with the expensive threads, or if you would prefer to use DMC in a kit or on your own. Give me your thoughts.

Until next time............

5 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I always love seeing a new rug coming from you two talented ladies. Your mom is a color whiz! Super rug.
Courtney

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Love the rug and the colors are just wonderful. Such a happy rug! I also like the 6 strand punching and use DMC floss I just take the skein and dip it into tan rit dye and it mottles it very nicely. Have a wonderul week. Ginger

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thanks so much! I've been wanting to try using rit dye for my floss so now that I know it works I'll give it a try. It's also nice to hear from a fellow six strand puncher.

appleberrycottage said...

I'm also a 6 strand puncher, and generally use DMC floss. I love the look of the Weeks Dye Works or 3 strand Valdani, but if I'm punching a piece to sell, it's just too expensive to use. I've also overdyed floss. (always start with a lighter color floss, then add the darker color overdye. ie: ecru floss with tan dye, dark brown floss with black dye). I've also combined 2 or 3 colors of floss for a variegated look.
Laura

theoldtatteredflag said...

I'm so happy to hear from fellow 6 stranders, I didn't think there were any out there. :) I just tried using tan rit over ecru and at first had too much dye, and found that if I brushed it on softly it gave it a nice variegated look which is what I'm looking for. Thanks so much, you've all made my day!!

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.