The Old Tattered Flag

Friday, May 27, 2011






Oh my gosh, how did it happen that I haven't written for over a month? I guess that's life. When things start awakening, here in the frozen tundra, we enjoy our time outside. With all the rain we've had, it is so beautiful, lush and green here, which means, the flowers are all bursting, the trees are leafy green and I am mowing twice a week. I love the smell of freshly cut grass. I also love to go outside and take great photos with my Dad's camera. See some above.

Mom and I have been very busy tweaking things. I have been creating a little catalog of all my hooked rug patterns, as well as getting some monotonous stuff done. It's boring, but good to catch up on stuff.

Tomorrow I will add some photos of some of our most recent projects. Mom finished hooking my new "Sam" pattern and I painted it and I finished my hooked "Tangled Tulips" Both are great patterns for summer.

Speaking of summer, I have had a couple requests for my favorite black bean salsa, so thought I'd share it here with you as well. This is great with baked chips (weight watchers friendly), to have a spoon or two over your salad, or great in a wrap, just about anything:

1 can black beans drained and rinsed

1 tbsp. minced garlic

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1/4 cup chopped green onion

1-2 roma tomatoes, chopped

1/2 cup corn

2-3 tbsp. lime or lemon juice

salt and pepper to taste

Mix all together and let set for an hour or two so flavors intensify!

So, until next time, hope you all are doing well and enjoying summer!

1 comment:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Sounds like you both have many great projects going. I love your photos. I'll have to try your salsa recipe--it looks good!
Courtney

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.