The Old Tattered Flag

Saturday, November 13, 2010

Another thing.......

Some of the ladies and I were talking the other night and I found out that I am probably the only person in that room who hasn't lived by weight watchers point system. Mom and I have been doing it for about a month now and I think I'm down about 12-14 lbs. I have to say, it's the easiest "diet" I've ever done. I even have to force myself to eat, since I am not a morning eater. I guess what they say is true, it's not a diet, it's a lifestyle, because it really teaches you that to get the most benefit from your points you will have to cook differently. It's like I'm learning how to cook again, which is hard since I've been cooking for my family for 22 years now. But, I mentioned the best french fry recipe the other night and wanted to share it with you.

2 large potatoes cut into bite size fry pieces
2 egg whites
chili powder, cumin to your liking
salt, pepper

In a bowl lighlty stir your egg whites then add all spices, add the fries and toss to coat. Put on a sprayed cookie sheet. Cook at 425 for 15 min, then with a spatula, toss the fries. They will have stuck to the pan, but after tossing this first time, they won't anymore. Then, turn your broiler on. Your rack should be just above the middle of your oven. Leave fries under the broiler for another 8-10 minutes turning as they brown and not letting them burn. This makes them brown and crunchy. The egg whites give them the crunch.

I'm telling you, these are just like homemade deep fried fries. This is 4 servings, 2 points each. So, if your like me you'll sacrifice something else to double up on the fries.

If anyone has some other great recipes they'd like to share, please hit the comment option.

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.