The Old Tattered Flag

Wednesday, June 9, 2010





Carol DeCoteau started rug hooking 11 years ago. One day she decided to take a rug hooking class in Florida, fell in love with the craft and has been creating gorgeous rugs since then. Carol has hooked well over a hundred rugs at best guess, possibly more. She is constantly on a quest for the best wools and prettiest patterns. She also finds beauty in nearly every tree, leaf or landscape and mentally notes every color and detail to use in her rugs.
Primitive rug hooking is the art of creating a design or picture with thousands of small loops of wool. A foundation fabric is used and an open hook is placed through the fabric and pulled up to even heights. In the old days, women created rugs from any left over fabrics for practical uses, to actually use on the floor to protect the house from drafts and make the home more comfortable. Over the years rug hooking has become a fine tuned art.
Carol uses only the finest quality wools and of late has been dabbling in hand dyeing her own wools. Carol can be commisioned to create a special work of art for your home. For more information on her rugs, please visit: www.theoldtatteredflag.com

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.