The Old Tattered Flag

Monday, May 24, 2010

Sowing the seeds..........and meet our new additions....




Phew, it's been a busy few days......Thanks to all of you who came to my barn sale, it was a HUGE success!! I managed to get rid of most of my stuff. The Salvation Army will be receiving a big donation soon too! Since then we have been getting the yard in order for summer. We have been setting up the porch, buying and planting flowers and putting the garden in. Above see how we used tree branches for our "tomato cages". It's a nice natural alternative. The other picture is the herb garden we decided to move the the back of the house and expand. My hubby made a primitive twig fence around it and I'm going to paint an "HERBS" sign. Mom has been putting together my flower boxes, I'll add a picture later when they've filled out.
Yesterday we got four new additions to our family, 4 year old English Sussex hens. I don't want to deal with baby chicks so this was perfect. A family up the road was getting rid of their "girls" so they could go camping more. I already have 4 white leghorn girls so we have filled up the chicken coop again. Anyone need eggs???
We had an abundance of rhubarb so my mother cut it all and I made some Strawberry - Rhubarb dessert sauce, great for ice cream. Here is the recipe.
3 cups 1-inch cut rhubarb
1 cup strawberries, halved
1/3 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp. corn starch
In saucepan, bring rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and water to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and boil for approx. 10 more minutes until rhubarb is soft. Mix cornstarch with 2 tbsp. water and add to fruit, mix well and bring back to a boil. Puree and cool. Yum!

No comments:

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.