The Old Tattered Flag

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Good times!!!

Please indulge me for a moment while I veer away from all things Rug Hooking or Punch Needle to share a few photos from the last couple of weeks with family.  What a wonderful time we had all together.  Mom and I decided to venture past our normal 1 day drive for a hook-in and decided to take part in the Searsport Hook-in, being held in Punta Gorda, Florida.  So, I persuaded my husband that we could roll it into a mini vacation and that we did.  

We took off and re-lived lots of memories as, being an Army family, we had lived in quite a few states along the drive.  "Remember the great times at West Point?", "Remember that great restaurant called the Shrimp Docks in Georgia?"....we reminisced the whole way.  

We knew that 13 of us would be gathering in Orlando for a few days of fun and sun so we rented a large house on Homeaway.  It's so much more economical then putting everyone up in a hotel.  I'm always a little nervous doing this because you just never know what your going to get, but I must say, each time we've done this I have been very happy.  The place was amazing and what a great time we had!

My husband rarely got out of the pool and hot tub.


Mom relaxed.....


We watched movies in the theatre room.

When our kids were younger, my Sister and I would often get together and shop, craft, you name it, while the kids played, but over the years everyone gets older, personalities change and you just never know how it will be when you all gather.  Well, I can honestly say that from minute one everyone kind of fell into the same old routines.  Below you will see my son Jeremy with "the talking pencil".  My family is not one that is short on opinions and voice so we decided to have a symbol for the person who has the floor.  Hey, it worked!!

The fun continued while 13 of us headed to Universal for a couple days....



...and even enjoyed a Mardi Gras parade.  Nothing brings out the savage like a woman trying to get those plastic beads they throw from the floats!


One big happy family (Mom had stayed home on day 2 to spend the day with my older brother, granddaughter and great granddaughters )


Mom and Joe (my older brother)

Mom and her Grandchildren and Great Grandchildren!

After a busy few days everyone dispersed and went back to their lives and Mom, Lisa and I prepared to go to work at the Searsport Hook-In.  (more on this in tomorrow's post).


Of course we had to get a bit more shopping in before heading home.

And then home sweet home to my buddy Baxter.  I sure did miss him. 

My nephew Mitch is getting married this fall and I know my whole family will agree that we that maybe we shouldn't let so much time pass between gatherings.  Things get more complicated when everyone grows up...schedules get in the way, but I'm so glad we were able to all make this work. 
Come back tomorrow when I'll show some highlights from the Searsport Hook-in.

Until next time......

1 comment:

Jacqueline said...

how very wonderful for you and your family.

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.