The Old Tattered Flag

Friday, December 15, 2017

Rugs around our home!

Every year during our Christmas Open house I decorate the whole house as visitors walk through.  I'm always trying to find new ways to decorate for Christmas, though that is hard to do because you have to use all your family favorites and theres only so many ways to switch things around.  So, this year I wanted to use a lot of our hooked rugs in our decorating.  I actually do have many of them hanging up throughout the home all year round, but I added a few more.  I have to say.....I design rugs and deal with patterns, wool and designs on a daily basis, but really stepping back and taking note of the rugs and how they look in my own home has made me so happy and I've really enjoyed the Christmas decor even more this year.  

This rug was hooked many years ago by Mom.  When she moved in with us, so did her rugs.  I've always loved this one...I'm sorry I do not know who the designer is, only that my sister purchased the pattern for her many years ago from the Dorr Mill Store. 

Another rug that came with Mom and is proudly displayed in our guest room.  Again, I'm sorry, do not know the designer.  Anyone who may know, feel free to add in the comments below.  

I hooked this handsome fella last year.  He is an adorable design by Ye Country Mercantile.  

1831 Antique Floral is one of my first designs.  I named it for the year our home was built.  It will always be a favorite of mine.  


Ok, this isn't a rug, but notice her wings.....they are hooked.  I think she had button eyes at one time.  Years ago my sister and I use to collaborate on dolls together.  I would make the dolls and she would hook the wings.  I went by the name uglydollmaker on ebay.  We sold a bunch of them.  Maybe you have one?  


This fabulous design is an antique adaptation now being offered by Kris Miller of Spruce Ridge Studios.  Mom purchased the pattern a couple years ago from Kris and gave this to me for Christmas.  I am a lucky gal!  It hangs proudly in my office. 


I love little rugs.  This cute rug was hooked by Sandi Lucero of Olde Crow Primitives.  She sells her rugs on Etsy.  I like to throw a small hooked rug on tables here and there.  This one is one of my favorites.  


Yes, that coverlet is hooked!!  One of my designs from last year and quite a popular one (I say that with a heavy sigh because it's not my favorite one to draw, lol.) I still swoon when I look at this one!  It hangs in the master bedroom.


We revamped our bathroom last year and tucked away in the corner I like to hang one of our rugs.  This design by me is adapted loosely from an antique rug.  I call it "Antique Urn of Flowers".  



Here's another antique adaptation I hooked a couple years ago.  I believe Betsy Reed from Heavens to Betsy sells a similar pattern.  I used torn strips to finish this one.  I love the primitive look of torn strips, but my hand doesn't like it!


Oh, this one has always been one of my favorites!  This is a design by Blackbird designs that was in their "In Praise of Autumn" book.  Several years ago my sister gave the pattern to my mother and again, it has found a home here in NNY with us.  


I like to have a focal area on the wall going up the stairs and this rug sure does the trick.  I designed this rug 2 years ago and it is hooked by Mom.  Stunning, just stunning.....her choice of colors is just amazing!  I'm going to say this is one of my favorites, but I say that about all of them!  The design is called "American Folk". 


I designed this one back in 2012 for Mom.  It is our family tree.  I do believe we need to add some names!  "A family's love is natures masterpiece."  True words indeed!


This one below is so not my style, but I wanted to give my mother a rug of how I saw her and my father.  She use to tell the story of how she would go hunting with my father when they were first dating...you know, young love and all.  So, in my mind I imagined her in her poodle skirt, which in retrospect does not make any sense at all, both because, well it just doesn't make sense and hunting season in Vermont is in November....brrrr.  But, that is how I see it!  Mom hangs this right over her chair in her living room.  


I designed this one in 2013.  We had visited the Shelburne museum and Mom wanted to hook a weathervane rug.  I love this one because it just screams "New England". 


This beauty was a major score for me this past summer.  We were at a flea market in New Hampshire and I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw it.  It proudly hangs in my office over my computers.  It is OLD!!!


Oh, "Christmas in New England", our very popular Tree skirt that I designed and Mom hooked back in 2012 looks so small under the tree, but it is a big rug at 56 inches in diameter.  How many of you have this one under your tree? 


I think this one is my favorite holiday vignette in the house.  I don't know why, I think because it's so calm and serene, the color of the walls with the soft glow of the candle.  "Old Glory Tree" was designed by me this past spring and truly is one of my favorites.  


Well, I hope you enjoyed seeing the rugs in our home.  I enjoyed writing this one.  Kind of like taking a little trip down memory lane... remembering designing the rugs, or receiving the rug as a gift.  Or seeing a rug for the first time when Mom would proudly share it.  All good!   Merry Christmas everyone!
Until next time......

10 comments:

marie said...

Merry Christmas to you and all your family. Loved the tour of your rugs. Reminded me that I should display mine more.

acorn hollow said...

Just wonderful I love the angel
Cathy

elaine allerton said...

Love seeing these mats, julie,
THANKS,,,,

Karla said...

Thanks for the tour, Julie. Your rugs, and your home, are beautiful! Blessings to you and Mom and your family this Christmas!

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for sharing. I love seeing the rugs and their settings.

village folk art said...

Thanks of much Julie for your inspiration. I also love your sense of design. I just ordered a floor stand for rug hooking, I have the Hartman hook, I have linen and I have wool strips... so what am I waiting for? Saw several of your patterns that I really like, 'The Old Glory Tree'. Doesin't look too intimidating...combines my love for Christmas and my Love for America... This may be the one. Thanks so much for sharing all these wonderful pictures. It's been a pleasure taking the tour.
Peace and Blessings for all,
Barb

Lady Locust said...

I sure enjoy seeing all these. You and your mom share some great talent. It's all beautiful.
Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family..i enjoyed your tour a lot..what a talent you and your mom are..simply beautiful..

Rugs and Pugs said...

So many wonderful rugs. You and mom are beyond talented.
Merry Christmas :)
Lauren

thanida said...

great content!amazing to know bk8

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.