The Old Tattered Flag

Sunday, September 24, 2017

September....Fall......are you there?

I have decided that September is my favorite month of the year.  I remembered that I felt this way last year but as we neared September I couldn't remember why.  Then it all came back to me.  September is that month where Summer struggles to hang on, so you have beautiful, warm sunny days and cooler nights.  The skies are crystal clear and a million stars shine at night.  And I think the #1 reason is...tomatoes.  Yes, I've heard that for many of you your gardens have been providing tomatoes for quite some time, but ours are just coming in now.  We've had a random one here and there, but this week....oh YES!! 


I do feel a little angst though....what will I do with them all....


It doesn't matter, they are so pretty I just love to look at them.  My sister started several heirloom plants and gave us a bunch with no rhyme or reason....we didn't know what we would get, but oh what a symphony of color!!

So, now is the time when you start to feel like Bubba in Forest Gump.  We'll have tomato sauce, roasted tomatoes with sausage, fried green tomatoes, tomato basil soup and the list goes on.  I'll try to make it so not one tomato goes to waste.  I love them!!


Sundays, as you know are my favorite day of the week.  It's when I have the time to be more "domestic", and to this busy girl that means, folding laundry, changing the sheets, spiffying the house and cooking.  So, it's only fitting that we have Lasagna on this "tomato Sunday".

And a nice Dump Cake for dessert.  That's probably the only time "nice" and "dump" will ever go in the same sentence.


I always feel very content in September.  Though we are always busy and are just coming off two events where we traveled, we have made some small changes to our business and even more are coming that will both grow our business and make it more manageable.  I am a dreamer and for me and my business, the sky is the limit.  Have I teased you enough?  More on that later.
Anyway, back to my contentment.  In addition to the red of the tomatoes you see little bits of orange appear more and more in the decor.  We FINALLY have bittersweet.  Mom planted 3 bittersweet plants.  Yes, you need a male and a female bush......or in our case a bisexual.  Yup there is such a thing that that is what is yielding these pretty orange berries.


 In September I find that my creativity is in high gear.  I LOVE designing for Fall and Christmas.  We are in the final stages of Fall designs and will be rolling out Christmas very soon.  
I love that we are able to offer our customers versions of a design in both punch needle and rug hooking.




I hope you are all enjoying your September.  It is unusually hot here but that's the good thing about the last ditch effort of Summer in September.  It's just hot enough that it makes you look forward to those cooler days and hunkering down for the long winter. 
Have a great Sunday evening everyone!
Until next time......

6 comments:

Saundra said...

Happy your Patriot Army husband is home and safe. Thank him for me for his service to keep our country safe.

Also, I share your love of tomatoes ~ Sliced, diced, in salads, sauce, on sandwiches, you name if I love it.

acorn hollow said...

I do not like sundays that much I have to go to work the next day.ugh.
we are very hot very strange for use I am looking forward to cooler days.
Cathy

Lady Locust said...

Fabulous! I too love the September bounty. My tomatoes are just starting - we are later.

Jacqueline said...

I feel the same about September. Best month of the year for so many reasons.

شركة المثالية للتنظيف said...

شركة المثالية للتنظيف
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالدمام
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالخبر
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالجبيل
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالاحساء

شركة المثالية للتنظيف بالقطيف
شركة المثالية للنظافة
شركة المثالية الدولية للتنظيف
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بسيهات
شركة المثالية للتنظيف بجدة

شركة تنظيف منازل بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالقطيف
شركة صيانة مسابح بالقطيف
شركة تنظيف مسابح بالدمام

افضل خدمات شركة المثالية للتنظيف بجميع مدن ومحافظات المنطقة الشرقية بالمملكة العربية السعودية للتنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات والمقدمة بافضل جودة وارخص الاسعار حيث توفر شركة المثالية للتنظيف خصم 30% لجميع خدمات التنظيف ومكافحة الحشرات وجلي البلاط اتصل الان واحصل علي خصومات شركة المثالية للتنظيف

sanpiseth40 said...

The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
ตารางคะแนน

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.