The Old Tattered Flag

Saturday, July 1, 2017

The 3rd Annual Gathering of Friends at The Old Tattered Flag

Well, all I can say is "get ready".  I believe I just uploaded close to 200 photos.  

What an absolutely wonderful weekend we had.  Mom, my family and I hosted 147 hookers last Saturday.  They came from near and far to be with us for our 3rd annual Gathering of Friends Hook-in and luncheon.  We are always so flattered to think that people will actually be willing to drive long distances to join us. But, we hope it was worthwhile....we think it was!  We had lined up classes on Friday with Ali Strebel, Kris Miller and Jan Cole.  Friday morning was met with clouds and torrential downpours.  I had a sick feeling in my stomach but told myself to buck up and figure it out. So, we would have cozy classes with Ali and her 9 ladies in our dining room and Kris and her 15 students on the porch.......during the rain. Jan was the lucky one over in the dye kitchen of our Wool House.  Everyone was full of smiles and just so happy to be there soaking in the knowledge our three teachers were sharing.  No one seemed to mind the rain!


Ali's class meets in our dining room...




Mike and Ken Miller, a HUGE thank you to my husband for carrying out our crazy notions.  He's always right there to lend a helping hand.  I believe him and my son and his friends parked over 100 cars over the weekend.


Kris Millers class starts on the porch.  It was cozy and probably not as ideal as we would have hoped but Kris spent 3 hours demonstrating several finished techniques.  One student told me her head was stuffed with so many ideas.  






I feel bad because I didn't get over to the Wool House to photograph Jan's Marbleizing Class, but was so happy when one student rushed home and tried some techniques then sent me pictures of her beautiful wool.  Thanks to all 3 teachers for adapting to the soggy situation.
While the classes were happening we were swamped in the shop.  Lots of ladies wanted to come a day early to partake in the goodies.  We had a nice full shop full of hooking and punching goodness as you will see in the next photos.































After a busy day, the teachers had planned to set up their booths for the next day and we had planned to set up tables and other outside stations, but Mother nature had other ideas.  So, we grilled some chicken and sat on the porch and just talked, something that we rarely get to do at a hook-in set up as we are always in such a hurry to set up and get out.  
But, that meant that Saturday morning was going to be dicey, getting everything set up and ready for a 10:00 gate opening.  We were outside at 5:30 am setting up tables and by gosh, everything came together.  As the vendors pulled in and looked toward the sky with apprehension I promised them that I had the weather channel radar on my phone open and there was no rain in sight.  It was gray and dreary though and I was worried.  Then as if on cue, a little spot of blue peeked through the gray and almost started pushing it aside and we had an absolutely gorgeous day.....all day and not a rain drop.

At about 8:30, eager hookers started lining up by the gate.  

..and then the gates opened....
 Mom, are you cutting flowers??

Speaking of flowers.....Mom did a fantastic job with the flower gardens.  She's truly the master with this.  I have a brown thumb but can take direction, and between her, me and hubby and his muscle, we did get the garden beds in good order.



Our guests sit in large tents


 ...and now the eye candy....our vendors.....

My Sister, Lisa Evans of Folk For All Seasons







 Jan and Fred Cole from the Wool-n-Gardener








Ali Strebel Designs













I'm happy to say that we raised $1046 for USO Fort Drum.

Rugs along the fence line...





A gift for our Guests



 

Stacy Kate Designs



 Ooops, more Folk For All Seasons


 Our Home

My son Jeremy waiting to greet guests

Rugs on the porch

 Wow, look at that line..

Our shop entrance

Hubby and Jeremy

Silver Jewelry by Denise



Spruce Ridge Studios












 Here's my son Josh (who was a great emcee receiving our check to the USO, he is the programs director)

The rug and punch needle show










































So, as you can see, it was a beautiful day.  We like to do things a little different here at The Old Tattered Flag.  It is risky having an outside hook-in, but when I talk of doing anything different everyone says "NO".  So, we will persevere and hope mother nature cooperates in the future.  I hope one day you make it up to our neck of the woods and to all our Vendors, guests, Mom and my family a HUGE thank you!

Until next time....

4 comments:

Muttsie said...

Looks like a wonderful day you all had! Looking forward to seeing info on the rugs by the hookers. One day I hope to make it there!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Thank you so much for sharing. Hopefully I can make it next year.
Happy 4th 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Lauren

Pat said...

Awesome pictures. Looked like such a FUN time for all. Thanks so much for sharing. Wish I could have been there.

Charlotte said...

I enjoyed the show by "blog". Thanks for sharing. Absolutely wonderful.
Charlotte

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.