The Old Tattered Flag

Sunday, September 11, 2016

Long time no see!

Hello everyone!  I have no excuse for my absence from my blog....of which I have great regret.....except lack of time. A pitfall of a small business owner is time management which I still grapple with. I've often talked about the fact that I don't think woman can have it all because if you have a successful business something is going to suffer!  Home cooked meals? Once in a blue moon!  Clean house?  Only because I have help!  Vacations?  Only if you include road trips to Hook Ins!  It's important for you to know that I am not complaining at all!  Today as I write to you from the truck as we drive back home from the Woolkeepers hook-in, in Danville, IN I head home with a renewed energy to get my life in order. Organization has been a big road block for mom and I as our business has grown so fast we just don't have room to move anymore, so when we get home we are moving production for the business to the house next door. Mom will have a nice big dye kitchen with plenty of room to move  around. I will have a room dedicated just to drawing patterns and there will be plenty of room for wool and pattern inventory.  The shop will remain in the back of the house as will my office. We are so looking forward to more room and saying goodbye to the frustrations of constantly having to shift things around to work. 
I'm telling you all this because with my hopes of more organization and bettering my time management I'm hoping this will mean I can write on my blog more. I plan to write from my iPad as I sit in my chair at night ....or at least a couple times during the week, so bear with me!!  It is so good to be back on the blog!!
So with that, here are a couple photos of the hook in with the Woolkeepers guild. We love this one because they are such a nice group of ladies and to add to that we got to visit my brother and his family. Just look at baby Keegan, oh my goodness, what a cutie!!  So, as we head back to NY, I thought it was funny to be following a coffee ad on this truck....it kind of represents my renewed energy. Stay with me, I will try!!

Until next time......
 




12 comments:

Claire said...

What a cute baby and I love your booth!

Farm Girl said...

I still don't know how you do what you do. Your patterns, your store and yet you manage to have the best service I have ever seen. I haven't picked up a hook in months, just because of all of the little things I have going on, so don't be so hard on yourself. I think you are incredible.

Jacqueline said...

You and your Mom are super women in my book. Try to enjoy some down time just for you.

Darling boy.

moosecraft said...

Cute photos! Very happy to hear your business is requiring MORE space! This is a beautiful thing! :-)
I'll be attending the Brandywine Hook-In in PA, Oct 22nd... I was wondering if you will be bringing some Folk for all Seasons pieces with you as well?

Rugs and Pugs said...

Julie ~
You amaze me with all you and your mom accomplish. Neither of you must sleep!
Such a sweet baby and a delightful picture of mom. She looks over the moon happy.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Unknown said...

You and mom and your family are living the dream I always wanted. It's wonderful to watch everything unfold before my eyes. I enjoy your pictures and blog so much. Years ago I had a small family business.....not as big as yours but I totally understand about time and space!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thank you Patti.....when things get stressful I remind myself that I am very lucky, being able to work from home doing what I love...and with my mother.

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thanks Lauren, we had a great visit. Keegan was sooo cute!!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Oh great, see you next month. No I won't be bringing any of my Sister's pieces. She needs everything she has right now as she has a full show schedule over the next couple of months. thanks!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thank you Jacqueline, he is a cutie for sure!!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thank you!! The service part means the most to me. It's something we really pride ourselves on. We know that when we order we like to get the goodies quickly so we try to get things out as fast as we can. That means alot!!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Thank you Claire!

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.