The Old Tattered Flag

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Punch needle, Hooking and Stitching....oh my!!

I'm always busy, that's the norm, but I have never felt the urge to "create" so strongly.  I've been working on my new coverlet and as fast as I'm providing Mom with rug hooking designs I feel like I have to keep up with the designs for punch...
Since she finished my "Easter Bunny" I knew he had to be punched up right away, but I haven't been able to pull myself away from the coverlet I'm working on.  I have managed to get quite a bit done on him....

But as you can see I ran into a bit of a problem.  The colors I chose for the background...a strand of blue and a strand of green, were too dark.  I don't know what I was thinking!  I was using the same blue that I punched his overalls with.  Even though I added the green it still was too dark and the overalls just sunk right in.  Thankfully I didn't put that much in before discovering this.....so I pulled it out.

This was the original two colors (below)



All it took was a simple switch of the blue, a lighter blue, one strand and one strand of green will make a beautiful background and those overalls will "pop".  At least that is what I'm hoping.  Stay tuned for the finished product!


I've also been trying to get some of my designs stitched up for Wool applique.  Easier said than done....


You see.....every time I sit down to stitch I have a helper, if that's what you can call him.

Hobbes doesn't understand why I don't really want him all over my projects, not to mention the pins everywhere, but he just doesn't seem to care.



So I usually move on to something else....rug hooking!  Several of you have been waiting for my new "SPRING" design to finish out the series (SUMMER, FALL, WINTER), so I finally got it drawn up and on fabric for Hooking and punching....


You'll have to keep watching to see the whole design, but check out the beautiful color palette Mom chose for the hooked rug.  I will be dyeing some new color threads for this delicate beauty.

So, back to work I go.  Sundays are my favorite day of the week because I can, what I call "putter", do what I like, problem is I like to do a lot so I then have trouble focusing.  
I think I will head off to play with some clay, then on to finishing my Bunny, then a bit on the coverlet tonight.
Have a great week everyone....
Until next time.....

4 comments:

TheCrankyCrow said...

Hello! I'm your newest blog follower....I've found you through FB, but believe we were connected (through Ebay maybe?) many years ago... Have always loved your designs and style! The bunny is so sweet...and ugh...that frog stitch is well known to all of us, isn't it? I haven't seen the others in the series, but the wools your mum chose for the spring design are YUMMY! Can't wait to see it hooked! Scratch Hobbes's ears for me...what a cutie! Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

Jacqueline said...

I love the bunny.. You are so talented. Thanks for sharing.

Farm Girl said...

Hobbs is awesome! I always enjoy seeing what you come up with next. I have been in a slump hooking wise so looking at your designs always seems to help.
Have a great first week in February.

theoldtatteredflag said...

Hi Robin, thank you so much for checking my blog out.

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.