The Old Tattered Flag

Monday, September 21, 2015

Woolkeepers Hook In ~ Danville, Indiana ~ A wonderful weekend

Last weekend we had the privilege of setting up as a vendor at the annual Woolkeepers hook-in in Danville, Indiana.  We had agreed that we would not travel more than 10 hours as it is hard to maintain the website, a shop and hook-ins.  Well, we agreed to this one as my brother lives in Indianapolis and it would be a great opportunity to visit him, his wife and their brand new baby, Keegan.  It was a 12 hour drive, but in true fashion I managed to keep my hands busy....

I put the finishing touches on my bubble charm necklaces...

...and put the backings on some punch needles that should have been done long ago....


 If you follow us on facebook you know that it's a tradition for me to get a shot of Mom sleeping.  Well, she was on to me this time.....

We left bright and early and before I knew it we were in Indiana!!
We even got there early enough to have dinner with my Brother and his family and Mom got to meet her newest Grandson Keegan.  What a little cutie!


So then Friday morning it was time to head on over to the Hendricks County fairgrounds to set up our booth then rush back to the hotel to change and return for Friday night shopping.  I do want to say a huge Thank You to Bev Stewart, first for the invitation and secondly for provided a wonderful hook in.  From the moment we arrived we were greeted with smiles and hugs.  Everyone was so nice.  It's intimidating to walk into a new location where you don't know many people and puts you right at ease when you are treated kindly.  The facility was huge, clean, and the whole hook-in was run with impeccable detail and planning.  If you are anywhere nearby I highly encourage you to attend this hook-in.  There were about 30 vendors I believe and the selection of goodies was amazing!!
So, with that we got our booth set up and were ready for business.


We have found that booth set up will always be a challenge.  We had made "the beast", a large rolling pattern closet.  How wonderful would it be to load him up at home and roll him in to the show, all ready to go and easy.  NOT!!  "The beast" behaved badly.  One wheel broke, one rack collapsed and the patterns all fell down.  But, not to let anything hinder us, we fixed him up (although you may notice that he is leaning forward slightly), loaded the patterns back up and carried on!!  Back to the drawing board with the beast.


There were a few minutes for me to walk around and snap a few pictures of other booths.  I did manage to come home with a few goodies as usual.  My first stop was Ali Strebel's booth.  Color, texture, whimsy and fun were the order of the day here!  I really enjoyed her booth!










And then of course there is Betsy and Eric's booth from Heavens to Betsy!  Oh the wool!!







Then over to Jan Adams booth from Adams and Co.....
beautiful patterns and again, oh the wool....







Then it was over to Gary the Silversmith's booth.  Amazing!!!  Sterling silver pendants with amazing detail and craftsmanship.  He can be found on facebook.  (I did come home with 2 of his necklaces....thanks Hubby)




I'm not a weaver, always have wanted to try it, but it looks too complicated for this blonde brain.  These looms from Couch's Little Workshop looked interesting.....I resisted the temptation...



...then it was over to Wheaton Woolens....beautiful rugs and Mom came home with a wonderful feedsack material dyeing apron from them!


I'm upset that I didn't get to visit and snap pictures of more booths, but you see, I had my husband manning the ipad and I was told I could not stray away more than a 20 foot perimeter.  I had jokingly posted on facebook his quote "I've been to Afghanistan and traveled the roads of Baghdad, but nothing scares more than making change".  Lol, you see he is a retired Army COL so this was meant to be a joke.  He did fine, though he does need to work on his delivery, "that will be $24.92!"  No niceties, no please, no chit chat.  One lady said, "You must be a police officer"  Very straight forward.....military........Lol!  He actually loves going with us, analyzing how everyone has set up their booth, figuring out "the beast".  After all these years of me being a supportive Army wife he tells me it's his turn to support me in my business.  I really couldn't do it without him and Mom of course, and for this I am truly grateful. 

I swear he's not sleeping, he's checking his phone.

I did manage to get away during day 2 to snap some pictures of the rugs on display....



This one (above) was the voters choice.  I was busy when I saw them doing this so wasn't sure if it was viewers choice or how they awarded, however, though all the rugs were amazing, this one just took my breath away.  Look at the detail!!


Then it was time to visit with the hookers and snap some pics of what they are working on.  I am always in awe of the talent, creativity and just overall enjoyment I see on the faces of all the attendees.  They are truly in their element at these hook-ins!!








...and here's Mom figuring out the yardage needed to bind Kitty's flag rug......



...and before she knew it she had a crowd around her...

So, Woolkeepers, a big Thank You!!  We have been invited back next year and are already planning what new goodies we will bring to you.  We had a blast and I so enjoyed meeting so many customers who have been a part in the progression of our business...ladies like JoAnn, Kathy, Nancy K., Nodie, Jan B., Melanie and many more.  I also enjoyed meeting Sally from Pure and Simple Woolens.  I came home with a gorgeous wool feather tree from her.  A very nice lady...I'm sorry I didn't get any pictures of your booth Sally.....next year!!


So, it was a GREAT weekend and as if that was not enough, look at the sunset that we encountered leaving the building...

...awe inspiring.....

Thank you Woolkeepers and see you next year...
Until next time.....

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Thank you for sharing all the gorgeous pictures!

moosecraft said...

Thanks for sharing pics... it's almost like being able to visit in person! I'm one of those folks that goes to a hook-in and never pulls a loop.... only shops! lol! Looks like a great selection of vendors there....

Unknown said...

Oh be still my heart! Everything is just beautiful! I really enjoyed all your photos. You, mom and hubby do such a wonderful job on your display.
I had to crack up about your hubby at shows and his attitude with customers. I am married to a retired New York State trooper who was also a marine and occassionally when he helps me the ladies say the same thing! For years my family thought he was mad at them because he always looked so stern......now that he is retired he is much more relaxed!
I'm hoping to visit your shop so One!
Love all your blogs.....Patti

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.