The Old Tattered Flag

Sunday, July 26, 2015

Stop and enjoy the surroundings......


Sometimes I need to remind myself to stop.......stop working and just enjoy life.  This weekend that was made easier for me when my husband whisked me away for an over-nighter to celebrate our 27th anniversary.  It is good to get away for a night and re-energize.  But, then it's always good to come back home.  We are homebodies.  We love our home.  As you know we are retired Army so you might think it's because we are finally settled that we feel this way, but honestly we've always loved "home", wherever it was.  Plunk us in our favorite chairs with conversation or even silence and it's all good.  So, I've decided to devote this blog to "things around the house".  Sometimes I need to just walk around the yard and notice the beautiful green grass, the flowers, the strange shape of a tree, the reflections in a gazing ball.  I walked around with my camera today to document some of the my favorite things.....

.....like antique pieces waiting to be used....


.....a prim goose nesting....



...a gift from my Sister...


...the flowers overflowing their containers on this beautiful July day....


...a restful spot in the yard...currently being occupied....


...a gaze out to the field to see millions of little white flowers...

....a reflection in the gazing ball....is that me?.....


...more flowers reaching to the sky....


...the beauty and sweet aroma of lillies in bloom....


....the rusty owl peeking through the flowers....


...sweet peas reaching upwards....


...a door to where?....


....T'maters...when will you be ready?.....


...the cupola that my husband finally got up on the roof 2 days before our gathering...it looks like it's been there forever...


...home....

....sweet.....



...home....
(always a work in progress, pergola waiting to be painted by me, yes Robin and Annette, painted!)


...a favorite spot.....


....a favorite addition to the porch....



 ....a musical reminder of my husband's favorite pastime...fishing.....


 .....a perfect photo....

.....old glory.....times two....


....a peekaboo birdhouse....


....a restful spot.....


...a favorite collectible....


....a watchful friend.....


...who can't stay away from you for too long....

......future designs.....



.....and fun things to make for yourself......


 Summer is just beautiful.  I've said it before, we really enjoy Summer here in the north country of New York because our Winter's are so harsh.  Wherever you are, take the time to enjoy your surroundings whether it be your living room, a favorite trail, your yard, etc.  It's important to just stop and really SEE.  Have a wonderful summer evening everyone!

Until next time........

8 comments:

Unknown said...

we all need to take the time (thanks for the reminder)... I'm living in chaos in a house much too small for my "stuff" but I make sure to have some sentimental favorites near by... Home is Sweet... even if it's just for now ♡

moosecraft said...

It's true! I hear more and more people (myself included) always wondering why time is going by quicker and quicker each day... I'm beginning to think it's simply because we need to MAKE some time to slow down and just "be"... Your punching looks so neat and love those little bags in the last pic! Happy 27th Anniversary!

Myra said...

Flowers look divine. Your house is a treasure. Thanks for the mini tour. BTW ..... the info you gave about floss on another post was fantastic. I tried the #5 Valdani and found that's the one for me too. Hope you plan on selling it.

theoldtatteredflag said...

That's right Mary, just enjoy the "now" and don't worry about anything else.

theoldtatteredflag said...

It is really hard to slow things down. It's so true that as you get older time goes by so fast. We have so many retired friends who say that now that they are retired they are busier than they were before, because they want to do so much!! It's a good problem to have! Thanks so much!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Myra, after I spent hours trying everything out and writing the blog, I was on the phone with valdani and they told me they are discontinuing the #5 pearl cotton!!!! However, I have found that doubling up the thread (3 strand or #8 pearl) makes the punching go quite fast and fills in nicely as well.

Unknown said...

Morning Julie! Happy anniversary!
I also tried the valdani thread and like it a lot. I will double up on the #8 and give it a try.
As far as painting your pergola, you might want to try opaque, solid stain.....they have many colors including white and it goes on and looks just like paint. It soaks better into the wood and doesn't peel eventually like paint does. I painted my deck floor and after a few years what a messy job I had scraping off the old paint!
Have a wonderful time enjoying your house....it's beautiful! Like you, my home is where my heart is too.

Myra said...

That's called Lewis luck ... ugh! It also explains why it was hard to find. I only invested in a whooping 2. Thanks for the heads up. I have been using #12 doubled for a long time but like you love that little bulkier look. I'll try the 8 after I use up more of my 12. Thanks Julie wish I lived closer..... I'm sure you'd have to tell me to leave the premises each and every day. :~) PS I'm now watching your posts on my d-I-l's Facebook ... just until I'm finished with my job .... pretty darn soon.

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.