The Old Tattered Flag

Friday, December 19, 2014

It's all about the punch....no, not Christmas Punch!

The other day on facebook I commented that I am most at peace when I have a blank piece of paper and pencil.  Designing is what I love to do.  I always say that I have several little compartments in my brain with ideas in each section and they scream to get out!  I really can't tell you which medium; hook, punch or applique I love the most because all three categories are like my children, you just can't choose a favorite.  What is great is seeing your one design done up the three ways.  At The Old Tattered Flag that is what we do.  Take the one design and make it three ways (most of them anyway, we are still working on many).  But today I am spotlighting Punch Needle.  I am the puncher in the house.  You can find me by the pop pop pop sound, usually coming from the living room.  It's a great feeling when dinner is done, the dishes are done and I know I can sit and punch.  I have snapped some pictures of some of my designs which you all know can be found at www.theoldtatteredflag.com in our Punch Needle section.
Hope you enjoy!

It all starts with the empty weavers cloth and a sharpie...

...then the patterns must be folded neatly and a "thread suggestion" card goes in each pattern with a printed cover of the finished product...

"Puncher" charms in my shop....

"Crazy Doodle Pumpkin"

"Sam Sheepherd"
My huge "Stars and Flowers" peeking out...
  
"9 Petite Prims"

"Crazy Doodle Tree"

"Carol's Pennies", "Are Ewe Patriotic?" and "Tom"

"Elf Stocking"

"The Winter Star" and "Farm Friends"

Various ~ all on the website

...thread.....

....hand dyed thread....

...and more hand dyed thread....

"Redware Plate Coasters"

..my trusty punch needle"
Now I feel like I want to go punch, but sadly today is cleaning day....ugh!  Too much to do and too little time....
I hope you enjoyed our little PUNCH tour.  I'm not sure what my subject matter will be tomorrow but come back and see!
Until next time.....





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now this is getting scary! Are you sure your mom didn't have twins when you were born and left one behind? My favorite time to punch is right after supper, dishes done and time to relax and punch. I am also an award winning artist using watercolor or acrylic paints and I have sooooo many ideas in my head that I can relate just how you feel with all the ideas trying to get out! I paint village scenes that are in my head.....a place where I would love to live with my family! I design my own punch needle.....mostly landscapes, but I learned from watching your videos. A year ago I didn't even know what punch needle was! When I researched it I found your site now Im " hooked" ! I'll post a picture of my work on facebook....you and Carol are the best teachers ever!

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.