The Old Tattered Flag

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Home Sweet Home....getting there slowly but surely...


Well, as promised here are more of the house photos.  I hope I get this blog done before my computer dies.  I'm afraid it is dying a very slow death.  That is the last thing I need right now, to have to set up a whole new computer.  I was smart enough yesterday to back up all my files.  I really don't know what I would do if I lost everything.  Here's hoping I can fix whatever is going on...
Anyway, on to the house.  It is very slow going, I just can't stand the clutter, but then I remind myself that we only got here last week.  I am happy to say that we had our first day of hooking with our NY hookers today.  Nothing motivates you more to get your house squared away than knowing a bunch of ladies will be dropping by.  So, here are a few pictures of the ground floor.  The upstairs still looks like a bomb went off, but at least we can now eat off the dining room table....hopefully I'll be able to find my bed tonight!

Our house was built in 1831 by Henry and Cora Countryman.  He was a stagecoach repairman and they moved here from Herkimer, NY.
Here are a few of the chaotic pictures.  I HATE unpacking the boxes.  There is so much paper and then the STUFF!!!  So much STUFF to put away..






But then it finally starts to take shape....














With the move and all the unpacking we haven't had the energy for much creating, but when we do crash...Mom occasionally picks up her hook....


...and I managed to make some neat funky hooks while watching TV last night...


...and because the ladies were coming by today, we had to make the wool room presentable.  You know that saying "it's like trying to stuff 10 lbs. of   *#!@   into a 5 lb. bag, LOL, well, we have A LOT of stuff in a tiny room.  I haven't even unpacked everything...it may be a long few months until the shop is open....








So, as you can see, it is coming along. Tomorrow I plan to paint my office.  Hubby layed a new floor for me today and I'm itching to get it put together so I can start creating again...
I'll keep you posted on how it's coming along....
Until next time...

11 comments:

Punchneedle and Me said...

Wow! Looking fabulous! Wished I lived closer to visit

Kristy said...

It seems to me that you have accomplished a ton in a week! Your place looks beautiful. WIsh I could come by and see it in person. Too bad you are on the opposite coast! Thanks for sharing the messy and the neat! :-) K-

Rugs and Pugs said...

Your house is WONDERFUL!!! I would love to live in a house that old.
I'd say you've accomplished miracles in a very short period of time.
Thanks for sharing.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

moosecraft said...

Ahhhh.... Home Sweet Home!!! Looking fantastic! You guys did a huge amount of work in a very short time... and to think that once this is all settled... it will be permanently all settled ! :-)

The Paisley Studio/Sarah McNamara said...

You have a fabulous home and it id looking great! Sarah

Me and My Stitches said...

I am amazed at how much you have done! Everything looks so great - wish I could fondle all of that wonderful wool!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Me too, the more the merrier!!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Yea, that would be a long commute!! Thanks for writing!

theoldtatteredflag said...

Old houses aren't for everyone, but we LOVE it! Thanks Lauren!

theoldtatteredflag said...

A concept I can't imagine, we've moved 14 times in 25 years, will I be content with settling in one spot?? I think so because I love this house!

theoldtatteredflag said...

It's never the same looking at it on a computer screen is it? I think all wool needs to be fondled, lol!

About Me

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my blog. I am married and just entering the second phase of my life as a Army retiree's wife. My husband and I did 25+ years in the Army. He is now officially a retired Colonel and has just entered the civilian workforce and I am happily settled in our 1830 Stone house. I (along with my Mom) operate www.theoldtatteredflag and currently we are building a small shop in the back part of the house. We live in Northern NY, right near the Canadian border. I have two handsome sons and 2 puggles. Life is busy for us, but I wouldn't have it any other way.